Getting guidance from God

Often, people ask me to pray for them or ask me for a prophetic word for them in regards to guidance from God. 

I know the first time a prophet came to my church, when I was freshly born again, I was praying and asking God for a prophetic word from the prophet. As I sat there, I felt the Holy Spirit say "stop asking Jay, you hear Me just fine." Lol. Who do I think I am? Do I hear better then a prophet?! I am only a new Christian! 

I learnt an incredible lesson and it's not because I love to move in the prophetic! Every single Christian has the right and ability to hear from God themselves because of what Jesus did on the cross. We no longer have to go thru anyone else to know, understand and be in the presence of our God. 

Two verses back me up on this; 

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.”
John 10:27 ESV

“For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more." In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.”
Hebrews 8:10-13 ESV

So if you're having trouble getting guidance from God, here is a great principle;

"The principle is this: we take care of the relationship and God takes care of the guidance. In itself, guidance is the by-product of a right relationship with God." (From 'Prophetic Wisdom')

I can't tell you enough how valuable spending time with God in prayer and worship can be. This is how we get to know Him more and in this process you'll get to know His voice more. Add reading your bible into the mix and it's a powerful antidote for all of life! 

The old ways of the prophet who hears Gods voice for an individual (or even a collective) is gone because the spirit of God no longer rests on just a few! He abides in all those who believe in Jesus as their Lord and saviour. If you ask a prophet for direction, you better have something from God already, because he most likely will only give you confirmation or say something that draws you into relationship with God Himself. 

So learn to enjoy the person of God; enjoy spending time with the One who gave Himself for you and who also loves to be with you and out of that will flow devotion to the word of God (reading your bible) and insatiable thirst to be in His presence. It will take precedent over all other areas of your life, but benefit all other areas of your life. Out of which will also flow the bi-products of direction and guidance. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Santa v Jesus.

“Build their faith”

This is your moment.