God? Where are you?

I am writing this article because one blogger used half of proverbs 25:2 to explain why sometimes we don't hear from God. Although it was true, it also wasn't the complete picture.

 “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.”
Proverbs 25:2 NKJV

The other blogger pointed out only the first part that it’s the glory of God to conceal a matter, which is true. But this scripture tells me that, God conceals things as part of who He is, but He also loves His people to search Him out. Ever wonder why kids love hide and seek? He hides, but the expectation is that you will find Him. And since now, we are a royal priesthood; I can only assume that we are kings ourselves (Jesus of course is the King OF Kings).   

Of course, the common challenge we face is that we tell ourselves that sometimes God ‘feels’ distant and He doesn't seem to want to tell us anything, especially when we most seek an answer.

This was also a critical scripture for me in addressing this problem;

“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.”
James 1:5-6 NKJV

And also remembering the promise of “I will never leave you or forsake you”.

I realised there are reasons why He hides some things from us.

1. Mystery causes deeper relationship because we have to intentionally seek Him out and ask questions. The Israelites had God speak directly, revealed intimately and clearly to them and they still didn't do what He told them! Clarity in hearing and seeing God does not automatically lead to obedience.

2. Everything that happens in life should be put thru the filter of this question; How does this situation enable God to make me more into the likeness of Jesus? This has always been a great starting point for me when things aren't going 'my way' or in tough times. This also helps when God 'feels' distant. I now always refuse to accept my mind telling me that 'He feels far away'. James 1 tells me this is ok and also that He wants to tell me what's going on!

The last point would be that God our father loves to see His children mature. He loves to see them making decisions on their own. We are kings, royalty and priests and children of God. Imagine having a king who cannot even choose what to have for breakfast without asking his dad first?? What I mean by this is, as we mature in Him, the more He expects us to make our own decisions based on our relationship with Him, built from a deep intimacy with Him. The more we know Him and ourselves, the greater our capacity to make decisions on our own. This is also why He can seem silent sometimes. He may just trust you to make a decision on your own! And even if you get it wrong, He’s there to pick you up.

I discovered over the past two years that the result of choosing the truth of God’s covenant, is a more deeper and consistent relationship with Him. It's changed the times for me with Him that used to be the God 'distant' times and I've found they are shorter and less consistent.

Again, James 1 says;
“But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”
James 1:6-8 NKJV

Sometimes, the reason we perceive He doesn't answer is because we actually don't believe He will answer or we are worthy of an answer. This usually starts when we believe the 'feeling' of him being far away instead of believing the word that says 'I will never leave you.' And all of this is held together by His new covenant promise;

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.” (Jeremiah 31:33-34 NKJV)

I hope this helps you to grow even closer to Him!



Please remember to comment and share!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa v Jesus.

“Build their faith”

What's your calling?